Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pizza Success!

Well, it's a second day of snow days...how wonderful! And since I had the time, I decided to tackle (again) making my own GF pizza. I've attempted pizza a couple of times in the past and it's come out...good. Not as amazing as I originally thought (see post here: http://ouphgirl.blogspot.com/2008/07/tastiness.html), and actually, somewhat disastrous the second time I attempted it. However, it was edible and for someone really missing "normal" food - that's what I cared about. However, as my GF cooking skills have grown, I've found I've become a bit pickier about what I'm eating and a bit more demanding in the quality of what I'm making.

Well, I've had success! Over Christmas I bought myself a present of three new GF cookbooks. One of these by Bette Hagman is called The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods. Now, please understand, if you're ever looking for healthy GF cooking, this is not it. The book is healthy in terms of not using all the processed garbage of today but not healthy in terms of calorie count or such. That's not her goal in this book; her goal is to provide recipes for all the "normal" food that so often is hard to get. It's not a weight loss recipe book or any such, it's just normal foods adapted for a GF diet.


And with that goal - she succeeds nicely. Especially with the pizza!



The end result was a slightly seasoned, thick crust (but one that cooked properly without being burnt on the outside and gooshie in the middle) pizza. And a really nice pizza sauce recipe (here) that I found on allrecipes.com. The only changes I made was to leave out the red peppers and to put the amount of honey down to 1tsp instead of 2tbsp. I was pleased with the change as the sauce definitely has a sweet taste to it and in fact, I might leave the honey out completely next time and see how that tastes.


The recipe made enough dough for two pizzas, so I'll be freezing one of them and in the future will probably not put sauce or anything on the second crust but just freeze the crust after the initial ten minutes of cooking and then put toppings on it later when I want it and see how that comes out.


All in all, I'm just glad I finally feel that I have a good pizza that I can count on making (because my frugal nature really has balked at buying the GF pizza crusts available at the health food stores - for the low, low price of $5 just for the crust).

No comments:

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...