Wednesday, February 4, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

I've been tagged about half-a-dozen times on my Facebook account in the last week for this, so I decided to go ahead and do this (and throw it on here as well!). Please note, I will not be tagging another 25 people to do this. Not that I don't care to hear about other people but simply because most of the other people I would tag have (a) already been tagged or (b) probably wouldn't do this!

1. I love bubble wrap. Well, technically I love popping the bubbles in bubble-wrap. It can be a form of stress release. Especially if you have the bubble wrap with the really big bubbles, then you can just stomp on it if you're really having a bad day!


2. I come from a family with green thumbs. I have a black thumb. This fact is saddening to me because I love gardens and (especially given my recent food issues) would really love to start a vegetable garden. But death, it seems, is the most result of my gardening attempts!


3. One of my favorite things is to wake up in the morning to a tidy house. It somehow starts me out in a calmer mood than if I wake up to a house of messiness.

4. I have lived in 3 countries (lived being defined as being somewhere for at least two full months) and have lived in 20 different houses/dorm rooms/basements. The longest I have ever lived in one place has been my current house in which we've lived for just over four years now.

5. Truthfully, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I thought by the time I turned about 25 I'd have my life all set....not so much I guess.

6. I love the first two Mummy movies (haven't seen the third one). Why - I really couldn't say. But I truly love watching those movies!

7. I want to own my jet ski. I love jet skiing (and snow mobiling for that matter).

8. I've always wanted to learn to ballroom dance with my husband.

9. One of my favorite things is a new notebook. The feel of the crisp paper not yet sullied with finger marks and use, wondering about what will be written on the white loveliness, even the smell makes me slightly giddy with delight! Oh, but I much prefer notebooks that are spiral bound and not flat. In fact, I will barely use a flat-bound book. BLEAGH!

10. On the same note as above, I love office supply stores. Almost as much as I love the Container Store. I imagine I feel the same way about office supplies that many people feel about shoes. I just can't have enough! Except I do restrain myself because my budget can only have so much :)

11. I've always wanted to learn to make my own clothes. In fact, that is something that I want to start learning this year. Why? Just because the idea of not being dependent on someone else to design something that I like would be nice. And it just seems like fun!

12. I like being short. I really do. Yeah, I get a lot of teasing about my rather diminutive height, but truthfully, I wouldn't change my height if I had the option.

13. I am absolutely pathetic at writing letters. Not the actual writing of the letter; that I can do pretty well - in fact - when I do it, I enjoy it! It's the sitting down and actually writing a letter (or an email) that I'm awful at. I've been trying for awhile now to come up with some system to keep on top of my correspondence, but it's not getting any better. Suggestions?

14. The longer I've been married and had "grown up" relationships with people, the more I respect my parents and certain points of their marriage.

15. I truly have a hard time saying what my favorite colour is. I've always said blue, but in reality I love green, I love purple, and if you get me in the right mood or in reference to the right thing, I love red, black, and yellow!

16. I have a serious book addiction. It really is a problem. Sometimes I feel that I can't keep enough books in the house to satiate my reading desires. Fortunately I do like re-reading books, so that helps a bit. But sometimes when I go to a library I get overwhelmed because it seems like no matter how many books I read there are still so many thousands out there that I haven't read and MUST read!

17. I think organizing things is fun. I know, I know, weird. But I really do. Going through clutter and making something neat and (to me) beautiful out of it is incredibly satisfying.

18. I have a tendency to resent people who look at me and assume that because I look young or because I tend to be soft-spoken and generally non-aggressive, that I'm somehow less competent. And I have a hard time letting go of resentments (sad but true).

19. I miss teaching. I don't miss the public school system. But I do miss teaching and hope that someday in the not-to distant future I might somehow find the right niche for me in terms of teaching.

20. I have very eclectic music tastes. But I really do not like most Christian music. Worship music - definitely. I can listen to good worship music all day long. But most Christian music I find to be annoying and very exclusive.

21. One of my wishes in life that will now never be fulfilled (as she's dead!) is to have met Madeline L'Engle. I find her writings - fiction and nonfiction - fascinating and inspiring. And I think I could have gotten along really well with her.

22. I love driving. I really do. I can't even really say why (unless it has something to do with my love of travel). I just know that I really, truly enjoy to drive.

23. Someday I want to get my doctorate. I'm not sure in what. I just know that I love school, I love to study, and I would really love to be Dr Hanna .......!

24. When I was little, I always wanted to grow up to look like Audrey Hepburn. I was very sad when I realized that was probably an unlikely thing to happen.

25. There are three foods I cannot imagine living without for the rest of my life: rice, cheese, and chocolate.

1 comment:

Diego said...

"18. I have a tendency to resent people who look at me and assume that because I look young or because I tend to be soft-spoken and generally non-aggressive, that I'm somehow less competent. And I have a hard time letting go of resentments (sad but true)."

I once saw you make Keith back down. Keith, I remind you, is 6'3" and a bit of a rogue. I've seen him relentlessly beat concrete walls, and tease and torment people until they would cry or kill someone. I have never thought of you as little or non-aggresive. Mainly, I think of you as a lion who hasn't yet decided to eat me because I am uninteresting to you.



"16. I have a serious book addiction. It really is a problem. Sometimes I feel that I can't keep enough books in the house to satiate my reading desires. Fortunately I do like re-reading books, so that helps a bit. But sometimes when I go to a library I get overwhelmed because it seems like no matter how many books I read there are still so many thousands out there that I haven't read and MUST read!"

I know, and they keep writing more.

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...