Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Books of 2014

Fiction
1. Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery. An oldie but a goodie. I've loved this book since I was in my early teens. And I still enjoy it. One of these feel-good reads with the beautiful charm that is Montgomery.

2. Jane of Lantern Hill - L. M. Montgomery. Also a re-read. Since I was in a Montgomery mood, I enjoyed revisiting another book many times read.

3-9. The Alliance series (7 books) - Lisa Nicodemus-Lyons - an excellent Christian, fantasy book series written by my mother-in-law! But, I have to say, despite the familial relationship, it truly is a well-written series and worth reading. A good balance between good writing, good story, and strong Christian values.

10-12. The Divergent series - Veronica Roth - I finally have gotten around to reading this series. And I must say, it was worth every second of it. Brilliantly written, amazing world. And to have an author not unwilling to do what needs to be done to make the book work--love it.

13. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Doyle - We've been watching the new Sherlock Holmes series on TV. While I've read most of the stories before, it was many years ago, and I enjoyed rereading these, especially seeing how they morphed a few of the stories to fit the new modern day look at Sherlock.



Nonfiction

1. To Live is Christ - Beth Moore - Fascinating insight into the life Paul. I really enjoyed her cultural analysis alongside the basic Scripture.

2. The Midwife is Here - Linda Fairley - Great read. All about the life of a woman who started her midwife career in the late 1960's and served as a midwife for 40 years. The book ends after her first few years as a full midwife, and there is a second one which I will definitely be picking up one of these days. Love the look into the methods used at the time and the world view she started under (especially as she contrasts it to current methods).

No comments:

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...