Friday, February 21, 2014

7 Quick Takes (Vol. 32)


#1 - Recently I wrote a post of confession about how I get frustrated with church sometimes in this stage of life, dealing with littles etc. I was uplifted to read this post "Dear Mom in the Church Nursery" from Intentional by Grace about how she struggles with similar feelings, but also the attitude she has taken about it. Nice to know I'm not alone, and good to hear this great viewpoint.

*****************
#2 - Editing question...when one is referring to the title of a specific post on a blog, is it correct to put it in quotes? Or should it be italicized and the blog itself be underlined? And why do I care? Because I'm an editor, and such things bother me. Must be done correctly! I don't believe there is yet a blogging, style guide. Maybe that should be my future. And at last I shall make my fortune and retire from this life of crime.

*****************
#3 - Speaking of blogs, when I was writing my recent post on my 2014 reads thus far, I faced a conundrum regarding a book I'm reading online, in post-by-post format. I mean, I certainly didn't record all of the blogs that I read on a regular basis. But this is technically a book, not just a blog, although it's also just a regular post that is part of a full blog about much more than just the book. And the author just happens to be Robin McKinley (see--one of my favorite published authors of many years). And since she is a published and even lauded author, should her book that she's publishing post by post (every Saturday--chapter by chapter--the torture is painful), count towards my books that I'm reading? Such a dilemma.  Oh, and for those who might be intrigued, the book's name--well, the post's name at least--is Kes.

*****************

#4 -  Does anyone know where I can buy Kombucha online for an affordable price? I'm mourning my cheap Drug Emporium shop in Little Rock where I could buy it. And currently the only place I can find it is in the Whole Foods in Charlotte, but that's a good 30 minute drive away, and I just don't have time very often (good for the pocketbook, not good for my kombucha desires).

*****************

#5 -  So I am taking on a desire I have had for many years. I have decided that it is time for me to learn to sew my own clothes--or my children's clothes as the case may be. I'm taking it slowly because my realistic side understands that I don't have a lot of time to be dedicating to major new projects right now. But there's another side of me that realizes that this is my life and if I don't grasp at some of these dreams now, I will never do them. And the job part of my life (especially given that we work for three weeks at a time!), cannot have full priority or I will lose my mind. So I'm consciously working towards giving myself time this year.

*****************

#6 - What else does this include? Picking up playing the piano again. Striving to scrapbook regularly. And working on writing these blogs regularly--hoping that this will eventually lead to some more creative writing as well. Lots to do, sure. But the different things work nicely for different situations, which is  a bonus.

*****************

#7 -  Chris and I have been working very hard this week cleaning up the last room of our move. There is a spare room in the cottage that could be a bedroom, but we're not going to use it as such as our numbers are eight maximum. The plan is to make it into a playroom (or possibly a crafting room is a thought I've had...), but for the last few months, it has stored the last of our moving mess. Getting it sorted and organized, and hopefully next week (although it might be a bit longer than that), and we can start redoing the room for utilization. Which of course means that we've been sorting through more boxes and stuff and getting rid of some things, storing others, and a few I've even put out in the cottage. After all, I hate for some of the things i love to just sit in a box for years because our little bitty house cannot hold them. So why not put them to good use for everyone to enjoy?

No comments:

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...