Friday, June 25, 2010

Babymoon?--Part 1--A plant filled vacation

I suppose you could call our recent(ish) vacation to Washington state a "baby-moon." More like an "escape from the town that's going to eat me alive if I don't get out of here and, oh yeah, congratulations Chris on graduating"-moon really.

Last fall a friend gifted me some frequent flyer miles as a thank you for helping out in her wedding. Combined with some other miles from my lovely parents, and we were set for an affordable vacation. So we flew out to Washington state to see my parents and the beauties of one of our favorite states.

Sadly, it was very, very cold the whole time. And before I say anything else, Heather, thank you so much for the maternity jacket as I don't know how I would have survived that trip without it! But despite the cold it was gorgeous. And relaxing.

We flew into Spokane and the next day promptly drove over the Cascades to Seattle because my Dad had services in that area. Sadly I'm missing some of the photos from this trip. Our camera was having battery issues during the first half of the trip, and while I have my mother's pictures as well, I can't figure out what I did with them. So you'll just have to miss seeing the cool picture of the peregrine we saw at the waterfalls on the way up.

The following day we enjoyed looking around Seattle a bit--primarily Pike Place market--and hanging out with some friends of our who have moved to that area. For those unfamiliar with the tradition of fish-throwing at Pike Place:



The Cascades:



One of the things I was loving most was all the beautiful flowers out in Seattle. That is something the Midwest really does lack--at least where we live it feels lacking--real Spring.





Friends (and my APs) we stayed with while in Washington. Friends who have been in our lives for, well, longer than I've been alive.



We were going to go visit Mt. Saint Helen's (a place of some significance for my life at least even though I've never been there), but it went and snowed about 8 inches the night before, and we decided to just drive straight through the Cascades instead and admire the snow from the safety and warmth of the car.



As we drove through the pass, just on the other side of the Cascades--still cold but no snow!


What I hope to not end up looking like at the end of all this (although he's a pretty good representation of how I feel sometimes!)...



Being Silly in Spokane--home of the Bloomsday Marathon


Nana (to be) and me--apparently I have inherited my love of taking plant photographs from her.



Cacti at a greenhouse in Spokane. Love some of the names:




(Ok, ok, it's a cane not a cacti. But did it really deserve the name?)

1 comment:

HAPTeach said...

Yea! I'm glad you were able to use the jacket...though I didn't think it would be this time of year lol! It looks good on you :)

Glad to hear you had a nice vacation and were able to see your adorable family!

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...