Saturday, March 8, 2014

On Turning 33

I turned 33 this week.

It's funny, birthdays never really emotionally bother me a whole lot. Turning 21--fun but no huge deal. Turning 30, I barely noticed. It's amusing to laugh about it, but really, they never impact me much. But for some reason, turning 33 this year has been a little rough on me.

Why is this, I wonder? Is it just the thought that I'm realistically moving into my mid-30s? Or is there some biological/emotional point people hit at this age?

I'm in a good place in my life, or so I feel. I mean, there are always areas that I'm striving to change and improve upon. But realistically, I have a loving husband, two beautiful, healthy children, a house full of other children to care for as well, stable work, food, shelter, a loving family, and experiences in my life that I know are more than some people have in their whole lifetimes.

I have everything to be grateful for. Little to complain about. 

And yet I feel this deep sadness this week for my birthday this year.

I turn to the Scriptures, as ever, for my comfort. And on a whim, I turned to the Psalms of the 3s. What I found was a good reminder of what to turn to:

Psalm 33:3
"Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy."

Psalm 3:33
"But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high."

And so I start my 33rd year seeking to give thanks to the Lord and to rest in the security of the Lord as my shield and the up-lifter of my life. 

No comments:

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...