Friday, January 2, 2015

7 Quick Takes (vol. 35)



#1 - The ending of last year and the beginning of this year has been quite full, almost like a crazy version of the 12 days of Christmas. 19 Christmas parties in 10 days, followed by three cases of the flu, Christmas visitors in the form of my big brother and sister-in-law, two friends dealing with tragedy, and a very long trip to Tennessee to help one of said friends.

*****************
#2 - My harrowing trip to Tennessee went something like this: The plan - 3.5 hour trip with Z in time to arrive and watch two little girls while their mommy has a hard day. The actuality: sheeting rain followed by thick fog followed by an insane GPS that changed my directions in the middle of the craziness and sent me into the mountains instead of the direct route I intended to follow (apparently the normal road was under major construction). After realizing the turn I was on was not the one I wanted, I went ahead and took that route because it would get me there relatively close to the time the other path would have, just a much more windy route. All fine and well until the road stopped due to a major accident that stopped both directions of traffic. Long story short, my trip turned into a 6.5 hour trek complete with at least one moment of tearful breakdown....and one son who had one as well.

*****************
#3 - Despite my own tiredness from the long shift and the exhausting drive, I'm glad I was able to go for a few days to help out Hillery. Her mother died just before Christmas. There's nothing more helpless-feeling inducing than seeing a dear one hurting and not being able to help. My ability to help here has still been limited, but going for a few days to be there, clean house, help cook, and generally try to be supportive was the best I could do. In times like this, what is one to say other than to give love.

*****************

#4 - I will now spend the last few off days of this week packing and preparing for Thailand! Yayness! Seven years, it has been, since I've been home. I can't wait, despite the long flight we face with our two little ones. Lord help us and everyone traveling around us!

*****************

#5 - I've been enjoying some Poirot recently. Netflix just released several new seasons, and it's been delightful watching his "leetle gray cells" at work. As these are all later seasons, I'm not as familiar with these episodes as I am earlier ones. The fresh mystery is always fun.

*****************

#6 - This is the second Christmas in a row that Blueberry has come down with the flu around Christmas. I'm grateful that other than the coughing that lasted for quite awhile, both she and Z recovered relatively quickly and painlessly, and both were able to actually participate in and enjoy their Christmas year.  Favorite present--a tunnel and a small trampoline to keep my two bouncy children, well, bouncing!

*****************

#7 -  

No comments:

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...