Sunday, August 17, 2008

Baking

So, my Domata gluten free flour arrived this week, and I decided to see how it works.

Well, I tried two different bread (think needs bread flour type) recipes, and frankly, it was very disappointing. The first batch was hard as a rock (keep in mind I'm not that expert of a bread maker either) and the second just doesn't taste that good. So, I think I'll have to try some of the other gluten free bread recipes I've gathered that require combining your own flours, etc. Domata just doesn't seem to do that good a job in place of regular bread flour.

However, I did make banana muffins with the flour and those turned out really good (although there is the faintest pepper taste to them that I can't figure out for the life of me).

Well, other than the whole exploding part.



Normal banana muffins are very smooth, dome-shaped muffins. These are just, well, let's call it "dome challenged."
I put rice syrup in in place of sugar (as large amounts of sugar really do seem to bother me), and it made the dough incredibly sticky. Not sure if that's what caused the muffins to puff up the way they did, but they sure looked funny coming out of the oven!

1 comment:

Mercutio said...

"The Flood" from Halo have begun taking over Banana Muffins now.

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...