Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Daybook January 22, 2014

Outside my window...has been the usual variety of weather. 65 on Monday, and much colder yesterday and today. It's hard to know how to dress around here; you just never know what you're going to be dealing with.

I am thinking...that it is time to buy a new rice cooker. My old one is leaving one gross, soggy wet patch of half-cooked rice every time I use it. However, as we've had the same rice cooker for 12 years of marriage, I think we got our money's worth out of it!

I am thankful for...lessons in properly managing all my Liberian girls' hair. We have had a lovely lady volunteer to come help with all their hair and teach me some much needed information about proper hair management for African hair. I've gained bits and pieces the last few years, but I feel like I've had a full heavy-duty crash-course that is great. And hearing my words about healthy hair come out of her mouth....love it!

From the learning rooms...[or in our case--the learning brain]...It's official. Baby Q's first non-Mama-Dada related word....is Thai: Jat Ai! (peek a boo!). Complete with actions.

From the kitchen...came Rogan Josh made with the leftover lamb roast I made the other day. Yum. Yum. And more yum. And super easy.

Lamb Curry w/ leftover lamb and the Indian spices.  Very good and quick to make!

I am wearing...the usual nursing top and jeans with my uber comfy black boots. Have I mentioned my boots? I saved up money for several months and bought myself two pairs of boots this winter. Not cheap, but incredibly comfortable. You'd be amazed at how difficult it is to find really comfortable, well-padded, cute boots. I don't tend to go through shoes very quickly (i.e. I wear them until they're dead...very dead...and then sometimes past the point of deadness because I just hate to go shoe shopping), so I knew this would be a good investment for my money. Haven't regretted it a bit. One or other of those pairs of boots have been my constant companions this winter.

I am creating...lots of scrapbook pages. Yay! Will start posting one of these days.

In my mailbox today.. .came two boxes. One contains Baby Q's birthday presents (only three more weeks and my baby turns 1) and the other was a beautiful quilt, hand-made for Blueberry by her great-grandmother. Lovely.

I am reading.. .Jane of Lantern Hill. I've been on a Montgomery kick again, and enjoying some happy stories.

I am hoping...for something I'm not going to get. A shift without new kids to settle in. So far we've gained one new this shift, and we're only on day three! And supposedly having more changes yet to come. Sigh. I guess that's the tricky part of opening up a new cottage--it takes awhile to settle in not just physically but also with people.

I am hearing...blissful silence as the girls are all at church with Chris, and I stayed behind to put a very cranky Baby Q to bed. He's quit taking naps--gone cold turkey--driving me crazy!

One of my favorite things...the never-ending imagination of my Blueberry.

Here is picture (or more) for thought I am sharing...





Want to join in? Go check out The Simple Woman's Daybook.

No comments:

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...