Thursday, July 12, 2007

Poetry

Currently I'm reading through a collection of Victorian Poetry. I'll confess, the Romantics and the Victorians are my favorites when it comes to poetry. So, there will probably be quite a few references to these two styles of poetry in this portion of my blog.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning: my absolute favorite love poem of hers is Sonnet 14 from Sonnets from the Portuguese.

"If thou must love me, let it be for nought

Except for love's sake only...

for these things [smiles, looks, ways of thought, behaviors] in themselves, Beloved, may

Change or be changed for thee, and love so wrought

May be unwrought so...

But love me for love's sake, that evermore Thou may'st love on through love's eternity."

No comments:

Six More Months of Shuffle and Change

The last post I wrote was July 2018. We were settling into routine, finding a groove, and trying to fit our family of five into a two-bedroo...